Borrowing & Fees
Each registered patron may borrow a total of 50 items. However, you may only take 25 items at any one time. Of those 50 total items, you may borrow up to:
- 3 items on a new card (for first-time borrowers)
- 12 periodicals (4 of any one title)
- 3 puppets
- 1 Youth Room Theme Kit
- 4 media kits (Youthroom book-cassette combinations)
- 20 DVD's
- 1 pass to an area museum or zoo
- 1 video game
Most items may be renewed for an additional loan period IF there are no reserves. Interlibrary Loan materials are typically not renewable. You may also renew items online at http://bark.cwmars.org/eg/opac (click on the Log Into My Library button.) You may also call the library at 413-736-4561 to renew by phone. Please have your library card number ready before calling.
Video games, Blu-Ray's and DVD’s: 1 (One) dollar per overdue day per item, maximum $5.00 per item.
Theme Packs and Museum Passes: 5 (Five) dollars per overdue day.
All other materials: 10 (Ten) cents per overdue day per item, maximum $3.00 per item.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
Your borrowing privileges will be suspended if one or more of the following applies:
- you have five (5) or more overdue items
- you have one (1) or more item(s) more than 30 days overdue (considered “lost”)
- you claim to have returned more than one (1) item not found in the library,
- your accumulated Fines exceed $10.00 payment for "lost" or damaged material is not made within 30 days.
All Videos, DVD's and Magazines
All NEW Books
All other books, music audio-books, puppets and software
- When the library is closed, most items can be returned to the exterior book drop, which is accessable 24/7, and will be “on time.” For example, if a DVD is due Monday, it is “on time” if it is terurned by 9:00 am on Tuesday.
- The West Springfield Public Library is not responsible for any damage to equipment as a result of using library materials or as a result of illegal use or misuse of its DVD's or digital resources.
- The borrower assumes responsibility for all DVD's and video games while in his/her possession and is reminded of the copyright laws: the item is for private use only, which prohibits any other use, copying, reproduction, or public performance.
- Please handle DVD's and Video games with extreme care. They are easily scratched and cracked.
- If you notice that an item appears to be damaged, please alert a staff member before you borrow the item.
Replacement Prices for Lost or Damaged Materials.
- Equipment - $35.00
- Adult Nonfiction - $25.00
- Adult Fiction - $23.00
- Large Print Books - $23.00
- Juvenile Fiction - $15.00
- Juvenile Non Fiction - $20.00
- Juvenile Picture Books-hardcover - $18.00
- Juvenile Picture Books-trade - $5.00
- Juvenile Boardbooks - $8.00
- Beginning Reader - $12.00
- Compact Disc-Adult /Young Adult/Juvenile - $15.00
- Book and CD or Book and Disc sets** - $50.00
- Paperback-Adult/Young Adult/Juvenile - $5.00
- Young Adult Fiction - $18.00
- Young Adult Non Fiction - $23.00
- Magazine or Periodical - $3.00 for Juvenile and $5.00 for Adult/Young Adult
- Video and DVD-Adult/Young Adult/Juvenile - $20.00
- Video and DVD Non Fiction--Adult /Young Adult/Juvenile - $30.00
- DVD Dispenser Cases - $1.00
- Toys and Puppets - $20.00
- Educational Theme Packs - Priced as Indicated
In lieu of the replacement cost(s) listed, a patron may replace any lost or damaged items with an exact duplicate of that item with final approval upon inspection by the librarian-in-charge. Late fines still apply.
**In the case of the Book and Media sets the patron should be charged $25.00 for each piece of the set that is lost or damaged. Patrons should only be charged for those pieces of the set that are actually charged to them
The Library does not charge fees for most services such as the use of special collections, library sponsored programs, or borrowing books. However, certain fees do apply. Printed pages or photocopies are $0.20 per page for black & white and $0.40 per page for color. Faxing is $1.00 per page, and scanning to email is $0.10 an item. Replacements of lost or damaged library cards are $1.00 for the first replacement and $2.00 thereafter.
A refund will be granted to any patron presenting the receipt and lost item within 30 days of payment. Patrons must complete a refund request form and will be mailed payment after the request is processed.
Any Massachusetts resident above age 5, may apply for a C/W Mars Library Card. West Springfield Public Library is a member of C/W Mars and may use other member library's cards. Therefore, you would not need a library card specifically for WSPL if you already have a card from another local library. Applicants for library cards must show proof of address and complete the card application. Patrons may borrow up to three items upon first use. The library card is then mailed to the patron and may be used at other area C/W Mars libraries.